Westminster Presbyterian Church, Abilene as we know it today, had its beginnings in late 1955, when First Presbyterian Church, Abilene (a member of the Presbyterian Church, U.S.) sponsored the establishment of St. Andrew Presbyterian Church. Official organization occurred March 4, 1956. The Rev. William M. Gould, Jr. was called as the first pastor. The first worship at the present location was held Sunday, September 20, 1958.
In February, 1962, Central Presbyterian Church (a member of the Presbyterian Church, USA) was instrumental in the establishment of John Knox Presbyterian Church. The Rev. Floyd G. Kinser was the organizing pastor.
John Knox and St. Andrew merged and became a Union Congregation in March of 1968. The temporary name was Covenant Presbyterian Church. In January of 1969 the name Westminster was adopted, and Rev. Grantland Groves became pastor. Later in 1969 St. Columba Presbyterian Church (a Presbyterian Church U.S. congregation) was dissolved and merged with Westminster.
Rev. Groves was succeeded by Dr. Murray Travis in November, 1986. Westminster continued to grow and flourish during Dr. Travis’ tenure. In 1989 a major re-modeling project was undertaken. The completed project was dedicated to the Lord on March 10, 1991. Thanks to the generous contributions of members, the note was paid off, and the mortgage ceremoniously burned June 4, 1995, several years ahead of schedule. Dr. Travis retired in October of that year. He was succeeded by Rev. Jim Pitts who resigned in May, 1999. In June, 2000 Westminster called Rev. Jim Wallace. Rev. Wallace accepted a call to Amarillo, Texas in March, 2009. Dr. Ronnie Prevost served as Transitional Pastor until Westminster called Rev. Chris Turner in August, 2013.